First meetings are usually held at a local coffee shop or your home, which ever you feel most comfortable with. This allows us a chance to get to know each other and see if we are a good match. I will answer any questions you may have about my services. If you decide at this first meeting that you would like me as your doula, I will provide you with my package which includes a contract of services, confidentiality form, your personalized birth preference questionnaire and intake form. If you would like to go home and think it over, I ask that you get back to me within 7 days so I can secure your due date on my calendar.
If I am chosen as your Doula, we will meet again within a week or two. At this meeting we will go over your birth preference list and talk about any previous pregnancies &/or births. I will also pick up/drop off any required forms and pick up your deposit to secure my services.
Please note, I welcome payment plans and postdated cheques. Please feel free to contact me anytime to discuss a plan that fits your families needs. Below is a detailed list of my fees and services.
Information on my Placenta Encapsulation Services can be found here.
It is very important to me that no family goes without a doula due to financial reasons, so please don't hesitate to contact me regarding my fees, we will work out something.
What is included in my doula services:
- I will support you during your pregnancy, labour and in the postpartum period, in whatever choices you make.
- I will provide information to enable you to make informed choices.
- I believe that birth is a normal physiological process and an important journey in a mother and partner’s life.
- I will maintain complete confidentiality of all details relating to your pregnancy and birth.
- I will strive to support you during labour to ensure a positive birth experience and to help you achieve the type of birth you would like.
- As I am independent and self-employed, I will be working for you, not your care provider or hospital.
- I do not perform clinical tasks such as blood pressure, vaginal exams, or fetal heart rate monitoring. I do provide physical, emotional and educational support.
My obligations to you:
- I will draw on my knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort, and make sure you have the information you need to make informed decisions while pregnant, during labour and after your baby's birth.
- I will provide reassurance and perspective to you, make suggestions to help labour progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning, and other techniques for comfort.
- I will be on call 24 hours a day beginning two (2) weeks before your estimated due date (EDD) up until labour begins. This means that I will carry my cell phone with me at all times, and will not leave town without advising you unless it is an emergency or an event not known about at the time of the contract signing.
- Once you have requested me to act as your Doula, I will arrange a prenatal visit. During this visit we will discuss any questions you might have, sign our contract, and go over exactly what you want from me as your Doula. I will discuss birth plan options, your personal information, when you will call me if you are in labour, etc. Additional visit(s) to cover childbirth education, further breathing & relaxation, breastfeeding/bottlefeeding and prenatal and postnatal care will be discussed as well.
- The presence of a Doula lifts the sole responsibility of the labour off the shoulders of your partner, allowing him/her to enjoy the whole birth process with you. I can help your partner feel calm and informed, giving them ideas to continue support from beginning to end. At no time will I "take over" or deliberately exclude your partner. I am there to provide support to both of you at all times. Sometimes a partner likes to stay by the mother’s side during the whole of labour, while others prefer to take a break. This is your birth experience and it is important that you feel free to decide on what you want at the time.
- I will provide birth plan information and consultation.
- I will answer questions and make suggestions over the phone any time before labour begins.
- I will provide early labour support as requested, including in your home.
- I will remain with you once active labour has begun until one to two hours after your baby is born. I may take short beaks for meals and rest if time allows – this will be discussed with you at the time and I will not leave you if it is inappropriate.
- I may utilize non-medical support techniques for labour and birth should you wish.
- I will strive to maintain a calm and peaceful birth environment.
- I will maintain a birth log as circumstances allow which I will then use to write your "Birth Story." This will then be given to you within 1-2 months of the birth of your baby depending on how busy I am with other birth and postpartum clients.
- I will assist in providing information and supplying emotional support by telephone on postpartum care, breastfeeding, and newborn care after the birth, as requested. Please contact me if you have any concerns. If I cannot help, I will be able to find the appropriate person who can. I will help to initiate the breastfeeding process, if that is what you choose to do. I can help you establishing breastfeeding if you would like. If you wish to bottle feed your baby, I will help you with the first feeding.
- Within the first 7 days after the birth of your baby I will visit you at your home or in the hospital. I will answer any questions you may have or give you a referral to the appropriate professional that can meet your needs.
- I will visit you in your home within the 2nd - 3rd week to answer any more questions (it is your decision as to how soon you would like me to come visit), give you referrals if needed, help you with any tasks you might like, and follow-up visits can then be arranged if desired.
- All records are personal and confidential. After the birth of your little one, a copy of all your records will be given to you to keep. I will not share these records with any other person without your express written permission.
My birth and postpartum fees are as follows:
A deposit of ($250.00) will be due on your first prenatal visit (not the first meet and greet). The remaining balance ($550.00) will be due at your second prenatal appointment, this can be in post dated cheques or one lump sum payment for a total of $800. I welcome payment plans and offer a sliding scale. Please contact me any time with your questions.
The fees cover services listed above for up to an average of 40-50 hours of doula support. If you would like additional postnatal visits not listed above these are available when requested.
Extended Doula Support (breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, baby-proofing, light house keeping, light meals, laundry, shopping): $25.00 per hour (minimum 2 hours) for visits made between 9am and 6pm on weekdays.
Postnatal Overnight Care (includes weekends and holidays): $30.00 per hour (min. 2 hours).
Placenta Encapsulation Services information can be found here.
I will make every effort to provide the services described here. In the case of a rapid birth or medical emergency, it may be impossible for me to provide these services.
If you contact me to advise me that you are in labour in good time, but if I or my substitute Doula is unable to attend your birth due to unforeseen circumstances, I will refund 1/2 your package total. I will still attend to your postpartum needs should you wish.
If for whatever reason, you fail to call me to advise me that you are in labour, you will not be due a refund of amounts paid. If there is a remaining balance outstanding, this will be due.
To see my availability please visit Doula Match and click on the Birth Availability link near the top to see my calendar.
If you have any questions or would like a free meet and greet consultation please contact me anytime by email, text or call: (250) 588 7074.